Thursday, December 2, 2010

'December Daily 2010' Mini-Book Foundation Pages

I'm getting a bit of a slow start on my 'December Daily 2010' mini scrapbook. I designed and printed out my pages today, then got them trimmed down to size. Mine will be a slightly different size than the book Ali Edwards created. You can see it here in this photo that it is based off of her idea - same set-up. I made mine up on my Art Explosion Publisher Pro program. It's an old program I originally got years ago for my Windows 98 computer. Thankfully it still runs on my current computer so I can still make use of it.

The only problem I can see right off with making my mini-book measure different dimensions than Ali's example is that I will not get as many individual pages cut from the clear plastic sheets I bought. I thought I'd be able to cut two pages from each 12"x12" plastic sheet. But my mini-book pages are sized at 7 1/8"x8 1/2" not the 6"x8" Ali did for hers. At the moment, I think I might make some 2-part pages with my clear sheets by stitching two smaller scraps together. I think a mix-and-match effect with one style clear sheet stitched to another or stitched to an opaque piece of paper will make the best use of my materials. I'll play with that idea tomorrow. I like the concept of the clear sheets that Ali makes use of in her book. Those 12"x12" sheets are pricey - even though they were running a half price sale at Hobby Lobby the day I got them. While I was there, I also picked up some large sheets of template plastic. It's translucent, not completely clear. I figured it would make a good substitute for the fancier plastic sheets Ali had. They're plain, but I'll decorate them and bling them out for some added interest. I think I'll like the look of some clear and some translucent combinations. I'll take photos to show what I mean when I work on them tomorrow. It's kind of hard to explain without visuals.

I jotted down a few notes of my activities yesterday and today to trigger my memory for journaling. I really wanted to get my first two pages done by the end of the day today, but nope . . . it didn't happen. It took longer than I anticipated to get the pages made and printed. Tomorrow should be a day filled with more fun with working on this project. I'll actually get to do some scrapping and decorate the first three pages. Yay! I've definitely got to get to them so I don't fall too far behind.

Today was a good day anyway . . . even though I didn't accomplish all that I wanted. I got to sew with my friend, actually got a quilt top along with the batting mounted onto my quilting frame, finished up with some stuff in my sewing studio that I needed to take care of, had a good supper (consisting of pasta) with my hubby, got to talk on the phone with my younger son for awhile, and worked on these pages. It was a full day!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the finished product! Remember to keep it simple and focus on the REALLY important aspects so you don't get too overwhelmed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good advice. You can see it when you come over, but so far as this point there's not much to see. I just put new ink cartridges in my printer so I can print off some of the photos I intend to use.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have you visit my blog. Please feel free to leave me a message!