Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Scrapping with Samantha

Yay, another post. You're probably thinking, "Finally!" Here I was all set to do the December Daily and blog about it, and then . . . nothing! Part of the problem is I've also been working on some sewing and quilting projects. Plus I didn't have any ink in my printer cartridges and had to go purchase new ones. Without being able to print stuff, I felt limited on being able to complete pages. So I went on to work on other sewing things. Thankfully I got ink cartridges several days ago, but am just now getting back around to spending some time in my 'Yellow Room' to scrap. It's a process . . . work here, work there. Some days are spent sewing, other days odd jobs around the house - like cleaning and other mundane stuff - now it's scrapping again.

As you can see I had a friend over to scrap with me for awhile this evening. This is Samantha. She's my daughter-in-law, my younger son's wife. Sam has got a blog of her own to share some of her scrapping adventures. She did a post tonight about our visit. I asked my husband to take a photo of us two scrapping together for the book I'm making. These first couple photos of us are his handiwork.

While I worked on my December Daily book, Sam worked on making some holiday cards to give to some of her most special friends and family. Yay! That includes me (and my hubby). Sam let me pick from the half dozen cards she was working on. That was fun. They were each different. Tough choice, but I narrowed it down to two, took a guess at which one I thought my husband would pick, then told Sam I wanted to see if I guessed right. Nope, he surprised me. I thought he would pick the one with the reindeer and the heavenly scented cinnamon sticks. He picked this one with the snowman instead. Since it was one we both liked I told Sam that was my selection. Then she went on to decorate it even more by working on the backside with some mini photos.

Here's the view of our card from the back. The photos are of Sam, Josh and their "kid" Bella. I like the way the card turned out. I'll set it on display for a while during the next month or so for the winter season, but will eventually put it into my December Daily photo book when I'm ready to change my displays. I was thinking about that after Sam left. I believe what I'll do is trim down a sheet protector pocket page to fit the card and add it to the pages of my book. It will fit right in with the theme and activities of today.

I thought I'd try cropping the larger photo of the two of us to make close-ups of each of us individually. Here's one of those.

And here's the other one. Sorry, you have to try to not get lost in seeing us through all the clutter of 'stuff' in my room. Eventually I will be doing some re-arranging and organizing to cut back even further on the clutter and attempt to work this room more like a real home-improvement decorator might. I want to "pretty-fy" my shelves and the room . . . add some valances or curtains, hang a few photos and display collections of photos and paraphernalia on the shelves. It's definitely too utilitarian for me right now. And too cluttered!

I took some photos of the pages I worked on today in my December Daily photo book. Today . . . day 15 . . . makes it look like I'm about half-way done with the book doesn't it? Not!!! I skipped ahead and worked on today's page while Sam was here. I've been neglecting it on a daily basis, but trying to jot down some notes on a pad of paper to help me remember what each day of December consisted of. I know, that's not quite what the project is about, but that's how it has turned out for me. Definitely a busy season. I probably should be making more lists to organize my time better and then I might get more things done . . . and stay caught up a bit better.

Here you can see the left side shows the photos of Sam and me scrappin' it up! I think I will be trimming the bottom photo to cut around the shape of our heads so I can dispense with some of the visual clutter in the photo. I'll leave just the stuff on the tables, and cut away the stuff on the shelves in the background.

There is a transparent plastic sheet between the pages for each of the days. My clear plastic page is created by sewing on the sewing machine two different plastic scraps together and sandwiching a sheet of colorful paper between the plastic where they overlap. This area of overlap forms a pocket that I will use to slide some journaling or other decorative elements underneath the plastic. You can see one piece of plastic has green swirls across it. The other is a frosted translucent sheet of template plastic. I like the juxtaposition of the pieces once they are sewn together. This is different from Ali Edward's work (which was the inspiration for this book). I was trying to make use of the odd-ball sizes and shapes of plastic left after cutting some of them to fit the book as full-size sheets. Trying to be frugal and make use of the scraps, too . . . not just all full sheets.

Ali also inserted additional smaller pages into her book. Here I used a scalloped sheet and backed it with scrapbook paper. This creates a two-sided mini page I will use for journaling about my activities of the day. I still need to do the journaling on my pages today. You might have noticed the scallop shape of the mini page mirrors the scallop shape of the first (previous) page. That's because they are the two halves of the scrapbook paper I used to cut out the scallop shape. I love the layered look of these pages . . . and the repeating shapes and elements. I will likely do more of this sort of thing as I continue with the book.

Flipping over that extra mini scalloped page brings you to the final page for today on the right. It is one of the two photos my hubby took of us. The photos are not attached yet. This one seems a bit too large, but I'll probably still use it. I want to play with angling it a few different ways and decide where to add some handwritten info that journals our activities. I embellished this page with a little decorative owl. It's so cute - a dimensional accent piece that seemed to fit nicely here. Click onto any of these images for a larger photo to see more detail.
Just wanted to show off the sewn transparent plastic page. Here's how it looks from one side.

Here is how the plastic page looks from the other side. I like this idea with the plastic pages. And I may add some more snow flakes to this page. The white ones you see here are made with the snowflake punch I have had for awhile. You just know you'll end up adding lots of snowflakes to scrapbook pages when you live in North Dakota!

And finally, here's a bird's eye view of the mess on my drafting table. It is so filled up with stuff it's a wonder anyone can work on here at all! I tend to do that . . . get so much stuff out while working on a project. I periodically like to stop and put it all away. It gets too distracting and overwhelming to have too much out at once. All the visual clutter makes it hard to concentrate. So it's good to clear it off and start fresh every so often. Well . . . that's it for today. Hope you're enjoy seeing my progress.

1 comment:

So glad to have you visit my blog. Please feel free to leave me a message!