Saturday, December 18, 2010

Snowman Paper Piecing

I've been working a bit here and there on my December Daily mini photo book. Just thought I'd share a couple images of some details. This lovely snowman was cut using my Cricut and the Doodlecharms cartridge. The half circle red background was cut using the Graphically Speaking cartridge. I cut off the tiny hole punches on the side that were meant for spiral binding since I am using my Zutter binding tool. The little snowflakes are punched using a small hand-held paper punch by EK Success. I was trying to hold this up so you could see it is dimensional with parts of the elements raised. I used those spongy little adhesive squares to raise up the snowman from the background. The small light blue dots are plastic stick-ons called Bubble-A-Bilities by the Paper Studio.

I started off just cutting the pieces, but thought they needed to be highlighted better with some color. First came a pale blue mini stamp pad around the edges of the card stock. It needed more color, so I resorted to adding in features with colored pencils, lightly at first, but the went a bit further. Parts of the snowman are lifted - the nose and the buttons. His eyes are punched out so the background color shows through. I'm happy with the way it turned out.
The White Stuff - ha, ha, ha - reminds me of the saying 'the right stuff' like this little snowman's got the 'right stuff' but it's really that he's made up of the 'white stuff'.

Here's a peek at the larger page it is positioned next to. I will be putting a photo of our snowy landscape here with some journaling. We haven't made a snowman this year. I can remember in years past that the boys would do that out in the yard. I was thinking I should get Pat out there to help me make one just for old times sake . . . and to take the dogs outdoors to run around for awhile. They've been cooped up all winter, same as us. I'm hearing the call of a snowman seeking to come into existence. LOL! Won't Pat be surprised when I come out with that one!?! MAYBE more photos to come . . . just depends . . .

Hmmm . . . I'm remembering a year the boys did a Calvin and Hobbes type snowman? or at least them spending hours looking at their comic books saying they ought to go out and make one like that. I'll have to ask them if they remember actually doing that? Funny how the memories go after time. They get foggy. I need an injection of some old stories and a time of reminiscing.

1 comment:

  1. Very Cute! I can't wait to see your mini when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have you visit my blog. Please feel free to leave me a message!